Thursday, November 12, 2009

Remembering Veteran's Day

I woke up yesterday morning, happy to see an American Flag in my yard, knowing it was Veteran's Day. Thanks to the scouts (and their leaders and parents, no doubt) for putting it there- even though I paid $45 for a fund- raiser to have them put it up every holiday. I love Veteran's Day! It's not like I do anything fun or exciting, I just love that we get to pay tribute to our military, those out risking their lives, and those that gave their lives for our freedom. I am so thankful for them and their service. I love this great country! I also love teaching my children what a holiday like this means. They are proud that their grandpa was an Air Force pilot, and that their cousin Josh is in the Army at West Point.  Last year, Nathan's teacher said that he was the only one in the class that knew the words to the Star-Spangled Banner (I think that really resulted from attending a lot of Jazz games with his dad, rather than anything I had done.  Reguardless, I was proud of him).


Never does a Veteran's Day pass that I'm not reminded of a most memorable Veteran's Day spent in Belgium many years ago. You know how in life you have great memories, but then there are some experiences that much more than that. They are epic, life-changing experiences that are seared in your memory. This day was like that. I was a missionary in Belgium, in Vlaanderen (Flanders), the Flemish side of Belgium. The senior missionary couple serving with us, Barry and Carol A., became friends with Hank, the Superintendent of Flanders Field. He invited us all to attend a Veterans Day ceremony at the American Cemetery. Just being in this beautiful, peaceful place was amazing. We watched as Hank ceremoniously put flowers in front of the memorial, followed by the National Anthem and Taps. I could just feel the patriotism and pride in the USA swell, as tears rolled down my cheeks. Hank read the Veteran's message from the President, and then had Barry speak about serving our country. He was a WWII vet, and to him, being able to express his feelings about our country in a ceremony like this was a dream come true. Again, more tears from all of us fell. It was such a moving experience. I had been away from the US for almost a year, and was missing home terribly. Then to find myself standing on American soil in the middle of a foreign country, participating in a ceremony honoring our Veterans was indescribable. This picture is of Hank at the memorial.
A famous poem was written about Flanders Field:

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high,
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
                                         --Lt Col. John McCrae

My parent's generation all had to learn that poem in school. I wish they still taught it today. At the cemetery, we were given a copy of the poem with a silk poppy.

We also had the opportunity to visit the WWI trenches near Ieper. Being the wily youth we were, we thought it would be fun to run and play in the trenches. However, we had to go through a museum before entering the trenches, and that completely changed our perspective. It was sobering to realize how many men lived, fought, and died in those trenches. What horrible conditions they endured! War is ugly. I am so grateful for all those who fought and endured so valiantly to protect not just our freedoms, but the freedoms of those of other nations. What a somber feeling we felt as we walked through the trenches. It truly felt as though we walked on hallowed ground.

0 comments: