Monday, November 16, 2009

Next Up on Comedy Central... MATTHEW


The other day, Matthew walked into my room announcing, "Heeeerrrrrre's Matthew." He's always been the comedian of the family. He's just got that comedic timing thing down. He loves to tell jokes, especially knock, knock jokes. He used to just say, "knock, knock. Who's there?" and then laugh and laugh at himself. I don't get the new knock, knock jokes he tells, but he, Sarah and Nathan think they are hilarious.

When I look back, he's always been such a funny guy! Here are some pictures showing that personality, even from the time he was two months old.

Here he is at three-months-old with Grandma Z.

Costume look familiar?  Yes, he was a cute lil' punkin once too.

Matthew makes me laugh til I cry, but then he can make me want to pull my hair out and cry, or yell, or both. Here are some things that he does:

  • If someone tries to talk to him when he doesn't want them to, he growls really loud at them. It's always so sudden and unexpected that he takes a lot of people off guard. It makes me laugh, but put my hand over my face at the same time. He says that is his lion growl.
  • Not long ago, I foolishly thought I could take the younger 3 kids shopping at Kohl's. Silly, silly me! Abby was in the stroller, so Matt was walking, unrestrained. He ran off, and Sarah and I took off looking for him. He was long gone. An employee immediately called a "CODE YELLOW " as I continued my frantic search. He was found near the front of the store! Little stinker. Having a lost child is the worst feeling!
  • He is so enthusiatic for life, and it's contagious. It's so fun to try to see the world through his eyes.  Little things like the toast popping up from the toaster gets a shout, "Horray, toast!"
  • Today at church I was sitting in Primary, when the Nursery leader came in to tell me that she had found Matthew wandering the halls, and took him to class. I asked if he had opened the door and gotten out or something, and she said that he hadn't been in class yet. WHAT?!? He had gone with Sarah after Sacrament meeting, and she was going to drop him off in the Nursery. What a good parent I am, not knowing that he didn't make it there. Though the time to panic was over, I panicked. Here it was at least 10 minutes into Primary, and my two-year-old Matthew had been wandering the halls that whole time. I questioned Sarah about it later and she said, "I tried to get him to go into Nursery, but he cried and ran out. I tried to get him to go again, but he wouldn't, so I told him to go back to you." If you know how packed that halls are as everyone is getting to Sunday School and Primary, you know that the likelihood of him finding me was not good. I asked Sarah why she hadn't stayed with him to find me or Dad, and she said, "Mom, I was just so tired, and wanted to get to Primary." Ok, so note to Jill and Rob: don't let Sarah take Matthew to class- EVER! (SIGH)
  • Matthew gives great hugs and kisses! He's always telling me, "nice job Mommy" or, "love you Mommy," or "You silly Mommy." I love it!
  • The most common phrase out of his mouth is, "I hungry Mommy (or Daddy)." He wakes up earliest in the morning, and comes in my room asking for food and a show. He out-eats all his siblings.
  • He's so loud! He talks loud, laughs loud, and walks loud! I remember the first time he ever whispered. Rob and I looked at each other and Rob said, "Did he really just whisper?!" He tries to whisper sometimes now, but then the volume automatically turns to loud again. We've decided that each child gets progressively louder. Oh Abby, you'll be the exception, right?
  • He can throw tantrums like this family has never seen before. He is so strong-willed, that his tantrums can last a long time too. He hates putting on new clothes and throws a fit when I try to put them on him.
  • One morning and this is what I found.





Abby had just woken up, and Matthew was reading Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do You See? to her. It was so cute and sweet. He loves that little sister. He loves to hold her, kiss her, and is always looking out for her. He always makes sure she has toys to play with.

  • He tries so hard to keep up with Nathan and Sarah. One day he was so upset that he didn't get to take them to karate with his dad. To distract him, I got the scooters out, and we rode them in the driveway for close to an hour. He is amazing on a scooter- a two wheeled one! I have to admit, I had a lot of fun too.

  • At church last week while I was on the stand with the Primary program, Matthew was hanging upside down off the bench by Rob in the front row of the chapel. Suddenly, he flipped off, landing on his back on the floor. Rob braced for a big cry, but instead got an enthusiastic, "You see dat Dad, you see dat?!"  The people behind him almost fell on the floor laughing.
  • I've had to call Poison Control twice on him.  He sprayed Windex into his mouth, and all over himself and the room.  Another time, he sprayed Clorox bathroom cleaner with bleach in his mouth.  Luckily, he was fine, and just needed to drink some milk.  Needless to say, we are super careful to keep cleaner away from him, especially if it's in a spray bottle.  Oh, that kid! 
  • If he ever does something to hurt Sarah, he runs up to her and gives her a huge hug.  They are so cute together.  When Sarah is done with karate, he yells her name and runs up for a big hug.
  • If I tell him something is a "no, no" he loves to go through the list:
                                   "Ride scooters in da street?  No, no." 
                                   "Frow toof brush in da toilet?  No, no, no."
                                   "Give Mommy hugs?  Yes!"
                                   "Pway wif cleaner?  No, no."

A while back I was lamenting to Rob that I never seem to get things done anymore.  As we looked back, I discovered that the point that I become less helpful with our business, worse as a house-keeper, stopped sewing and doing other projects, was about the time a feisty little Matthew was born.  I've never been the same since.  I love that kid to pieces.  He frustrates me to no end, but brightens my day immeasurably.
Whether laugh or cry, scream or smile, I know with Matthew around, there will never be a dull moment.

2 comments:

Ashlee said...

My kids loved watching those videos of Matthew. Cole just loves him! They are so stinkin cute together. I'm glad my kid's aren't the only feisty one's!!

Anonymous said...

Matthew is adorable! Cute post!!!