Thursday, January 29, 2009

Stupid Cancer!

Rob went to the doctor with his dad last week. They were expecting to hear news about getting a bone marrow transplant etc. Instead, they were told that the cancer cells are back up to 13% (that's about as high as they were when he got to Huntsman Cancer Institute). Just three weeks previous, his leukemia was considered in remission. We had gotten so much good news lately, that we were all taken completely by surprise by this. The worst part is, the doctor doesn't think that there is much left they can do to fight the leukemia. The leukemia is so aggressive! They can't give him any of the chemo treatments he's already had, because they aren't effective the second time through. Monday he started a really mild chemo treatment to see if it will do anything for him. The doctor says they are in uncharted territory, and have no way to know if it will be effective. It's worth a shot! He can't have a bone marrow transplant unless they can reduce the % of cancer cells. They haven't been able to locate a bone marrow match for him either. We are going to get tested to see if we possibly could be a match. When they heard the news, Rob said that they all felt like they got punched in the stomach. Cancer stinks!!! He sincerely hopes that he can stick around until September, when he and Rob's mom can go through the temple.

Rob's mom promised his dad that if he got a remission, he could buy "his dream car." Rather than the Corvette he had always thought about, he has discovered the Porche Cayenne. He test drove one a few weeks ago, and fell in love. I hope he gets it, and loves every minute of it!

Good luck Grandpa! We are cheering for you, and you are constantly in our prayers. We loved Sarah's sincere prayer for Grandpa as she asked Heavenly Father "to help Grandpa fight the zucchini." We didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

6 comments:

Amy B. said...

I too hope he beats the zucchini...that totally bites. I am sorry!

Erika said...

Oh how sad. There are several members in my close family fighting cancer right now and it's so hard to sit back and watch them suffer. Sarah's prayer was so cute and sweet!

~Sherry (Bear) and Stephen (Wolf) said...

Sorry to hear the news. We will keep him in our prayers too. Good luck!
Sarah is so cute. (Reminds me of Stephen praying for Sky's ears to get better...that was an ear infection a year ago.)

toni said...

I'm sorry to hear that. I think he's brave enough just to get up in the morning. he's a pretty stong man. If anything else, that car's worth fighting for!

Laura Z M said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the stupid cancer. I hope he buys the car and puts 100,000 miles on it!

Becky said...

Cancer sounds like the worst disease EVER! I have watched friends suffer through family members with cancer, so my heart goes out to you guys. I hope he gets to go through the temple!