Have you ever had a day where it was just one thing after another... that if you didn't write it down, your kids would never believe it happened the way you said. This morning was like that for me.
So, Nathan has been sick since Sunday. He's been running a fever of 104, a nasty cough, is tired and doesn't eat much. I took him to the Dr. on Monday, and it's just a virus. This morning he started coughing so hard that he threw up all over my recliner, his blanket and himself, then again all over the floor. I cleaned it up as best I could (knowing that I'd need to get out the carpet/upholstery cleaner when I had more time). Poor kid, I feel so bad for him, though he's taking it like a trooper. Abby wasn't too happy about me laying her down on my bed to clean up the mess. I thought it would make her happy if I changed her diaper then fed her. What do you know, she peed all over my bed while I had her diaper off. I stripped her down and hauled her wet clothes to the laundry, only to find Matthew walking down the hallway with a cup of yogurt. The spoon flipped out, sending a huge glob of peach yogurt all over the floor, which Matt promptly stepped in and tracked around the house. This all happened within 2 minutes, and I thought I'd had enough. I called Rob to see if he was done with his job, and whew, he was on his way home. Nathan laid down on my bed, and I sat on the couch to feed Abby. Just as she was dosing off, Nathan came in the room saying that he had a bad bloody nose. Rob had made it home and was mowing the lawn, so I hollered out the door for him to come help Nathan with his nose. As Rob was walking in the door, Abby spit up all over me and herself. I got us cleaned up and went into the bathroom to check how the boys were doing. It looked like something from a horror movie. Blood was everywhere. Have you ever seen what happens when you mix a bad cough with a bad bloody nose?! It means blood splattered all over the wall, the mirror, the counter, Nathan's clothes, a trail of blood drips on the floor, and a sink full of blood. Oh, and blood on my bed, where he got the bloody nose. Oh well, I already needed to wash my comforter after it got peed on. They got the nose to stop bleeding, and Rob cleaned up the bathroom while I rinsed out the bloody clothes. As I was getting Abby to sleep, I was kind of laughing about the morning, and thinking that all I needed was some diarrhea and we'd have all the bodily fluids covered for the day. A short while after I laid her down, she woke up crying. Sure enough, she'd had a blow-out. Nathan ended up having 2 more bloody noses (he can't keep himself from picking at the crusty blood in his nose), and he's worrying me with as sick as he's been. His doctor wants me to bring him in tomorrow. (sigh)
As I sat on the couch feeding Abby again (it seems like that's about all I do) I shook my head at what a crazy day it had been- and it was barely noon! Abby stopped eating, looked up at me and gave me a big grin, dimples and all. She even cooed at me for the first time!!! Aw, the life of a Mother! I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world!
My 100% Whole Wheat Bread Recipe
9 years ago

7 comments:
Ahhhh, sounds like a fun morning. Poor kids. We hope Nathan gets feeling better soon.
Jill...sounds like a very adventurous day! Sorry it was such a crazy one. We hope that Nathan gets feeling better soon. Wouldn't life be boring without all of the excitement? It seems like your mom tells about days like that when she had young kids.
Wow, I'll bet you were glad for that day to end! I have a cut out of a Family Circus on my fridge-- "Sometimes children are like little sponges. They seem to absorb all your strength and leave you limp... But give them a squeeze and you get it all back."
Isn't being a Mom the best! Hope you have bettter days, and that Nathan is feeling better.
Evan and I are in histerics at how fictional that sounds. Where was Sarah in all this. The big girl escaped the path of destruction? We were gonna head up there yest, but Jim canceled cause he sold the hay in the field. Wish we could have seen you...
Did you get the carriers?
It all happened just as I described it- I promise! I didn't even exaggerate. Nathan even bloodied up two bathrooms... Amazingly enough, Sarah didn't cause any of the messes, but who knows how the basement looks where she was playing. I remember my mom reading to me from her journal about a terrible, horrible... very bad day she had. I think it mostly involved Evan, Dan and Sherry. You'll have to ask Ev about it.
I'll get the carriers from Jim when I make it to Syracuse, but I did get the bows in the mail! Thanks!!!
Wow - that is definitely one of THOSE days! I've had the a "Complete set of bodily fluid" day myself. Glad you survived and laughed!
Hey - you should get a yarrow plant - they are s pretty green 'ferny' plant considered a weed by many. But, they are awesome for stopping bleeding. We had one by our front stoop growing up. We would just grab a bit, smash it up or chew it up and shove some up our noses. Poof! No bleeding.
Tom's been using it lately since the aspirin a day he takes gives him some bloody noses that won't stop for anything, but yarrow.
I'll have to post about it on docmisty.
Misty
I think most mom's can say they've had some days like you described...I know I have. It seems like everything that can go wrong, does. Sounds like you handled it calmly. Good for you!! I would have probably been bawling my eyes out.
Post a Comment