Sunday, April 19, 2009

Egg Rolling

When my friend Jeannie was growing up, they always went egg rolling the day before Easter. It sounded like fun, so last year we started doing it together. It sounds crazy, but is a lot of fun. First we colored our boiled eggs.It was the day before our big move, so we had to be quick about it (and my patience level was very low). My poor kids probably think they have the orneriest mom in the world. But hey, we did it! For egg rolling, we go to the local high school and throw our eggs down a really steep hill on the backside of the stadium. I guess the real intent is to race your eggs down the hill, but my kids don't care about that. They just love hucking them down the hill to see if they explode. They had a ball! Here's Sarah and Tyler.





Here's the egg rolling aftermath. Anyone need eggs for potato salad? My dad came last year to our first annual egg rolling event. He couldn't stand the thought of perfectly good food going to waste, so when he found larger, salvageable pieces, he ate them:) Jeannie and I look at it as cheap entertainment. I'm not super fond of boiled eggs anyway, and you can't have Easter without dying eggs.The next day was Saturday, and the kids had been looking forward to the big Easter Egg Hunt at the city park. It was also moving day for us, so I was up early getting stuff ready before people came to help us move our big stuff. Needless to say, we were a little late getting to the park. The siren sounded while we were running through the parking lot. I yelled for the kids to run, and just find eggs wherever they could. I took Sarah and Matthew to the closest group of egg hunters, the 0-2 year-olds. There were still plenty of eggs for them to find. Nathan apparently hadn't heard the part about finding eggs wherever, and tried in vain to find the 7 year-old area- he didn't get a single egg! When I found him he had huge alligator tears running down his face. I felt so terrible. He had been looking forward to this all year. Sarah agreed to share her eggs with him, so that helped a little. Here they are looking thrilled about the hunt- Nathan mad about not getting any eggs, and Sarah mad that we were taking all the candy out of the eggs and putting it into Nathan's basket so we could return the eggs to the cityThis sad tale has a happy ending though. Inside one of the eggs was a coupon for a blue-nosed bear to be picked up at the bowery. Sarah let Nathan have it, and he returned from the bowery clutching a bear, with a huge grin on his face. He loves nothing more than a new stuffed animal!

I hope you had a great Easter. For the past several years we've used a great book called something like, Celebrating a Christ Centered Easter. It has activities, stories, recipes etc. to do for each day, the week leading up to Easter. You learn about what Christ did each of his last days before His Crucifixion. It's awesome, and helps keep the focus on Christ, and not eggs and bunnies. Unfortunately, this year our book was packed somewhere (and we were a bit busy), so our Easter celebration wasn't so great. I'm so grateful for my Savior, and his Atonement! I'm thankful for his love for me, and I hope to be successful in helping my children develop a great love for Him. Happy Easter!

1 comments:

DocMisty said...

The egg-rolling is hilarious! Plus, a great way to die eggs and not have to eat them all!