Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Nathan's Birthday and Baptism

My Nathan turned eight last week.  (Yikes!  I can't believe that I have an 8-year-old!)  I am amazed at how much he's grown- physically as well as spiritually and and mentally.  His pants are becoming floods again (didn't I just buy them?!)  I think he's quite mature for his age, and so stinkin' smart.  He amazes me with what he knows, and all that he remembers.  Finally, he's even learning how to control that urge to talk all the time in school!  That's major progress!  He's been so excited for his baptism.  His cousin Ryan got baptized a month ago, and I've never seen Nathan sit so still and attentive as he did for Ryan's program.  He was trying to take everything in.  I've really enjoyed all the lessons and preparations we've done together to prepare him for his baptism. 
For his birthday we ate pizza and played Galatic Golf at Sparetime.  It was a great time.  They won't let you take pictures there, but I wish I could- it's really cool.  For his cake, he wanted an angel food cake with whipped cream and strawberries.  Yeah for me!  That was the easiest cake ever.  We had a lot to do to get ready for his baptism the next day, so not having to spend half the day making and decorating a cake was great.
We were really practical in the gift giving department... he got a new white shirt and tie, scriptures, dress shoes- all really exciting stuff.  Oh, and he got a bigger baseball mitt.
His baptism on Saturday was really special.  He was the only one getting baptized from our ward, so it was just our family on the program.  As more and more of our family arrived, our ward mission leader asked, "how many sisters do you have?!"  Yep, I have a big family- 4 sisters and 4 brothers.  Rob's sister Tara and her kids were there too.  Noticably not there were both sets of grandparents.  My parents, of course, are still in Guam (but only for 3 1/2 more months- Yeah!).  Rob's dad was put in the hospital a few days before the baptism.  He begged and begged them to let him just go to the baptism and come right back, but the doctors wouldn't let him.  He and Rob's mom were so sad to not be able to attend, and we really missed them.  We are so grateful that they were able to go to Houston the week before, for my nephew Kaleb's birthday and baptism.  He has really looked forward to these special events, and lit up while telling Rob about his trip.  Sadly, today he's taken a bad turn and is now unresponsive in the ICU.  We don't know much yet, except that they are trying to figure out what is causing the seizures he started having this morning.  Keep him in your prayers!
Thanks to our great  family!  We appreciate how supportive they are!  Nathan asked his uncle Lane and his aunt Terri to speak at his baptism, and they gave wonderful talks.  Thanks to everyone that took part.  It was a very special program, with a great spirit.  Our Primary President passed out papers for everyone to write a note to Nathan.  As we passed the papers in, I read what my 9-year-old nephew Logan wrote.  "Dear Nathan, you are so lucky to be baptized.  When I was baptized I felt like I could fly.  Do you?"  What a great lesson from a child about the importance of the ordinance that just took place.  I am so proud of Nathan for his desire to do what's right, and his decision to follow Christ and get baptized.  He is a great kid- I love that guy!
After the baptism, we had lunch at our house.  Luckily Linda and her family stayed with us, because they saved my bacon.  Megan prepared food, and Linda hemmed Rob's new white pants as I was running around getting ready for the baptism.  THANK YOU!!!  We had fun with everyone here.  The big thing was tractor rides.  After being afraid for so long, Matthew finally wanted to ride on the tractor.  When he did, he couldn't get enough.
Nathan loved being able to steer it by himself.
Emma thought it was great fun.  My memory card was all filled up, so I didn't get pictures of all the nieces and nephews.  I took some great video though.  I thought my nephew Skyler was going to pop from excitement when he was riding.  It was so cute.
All the kids followed behind the tractor everywhere it went.  Who knew it would cause such a stir!
I love to visit and play games with my family.  Since Linda lives in Idaho, we don't get to see her much.  It was so fun having her and her family stay with us.  Linda and I even went running together, and it was so fun.  I would go running every day if I could always run with my sister!

Abby was totally content having a ton of people around.  She loves the chaos.  Here she is on her chair that Tara gave her.   She loves it!
Look what she can do. (sigh)
What a great time!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was so much fun to be there! Thanks for having us! Nathan, way to go!! You are getting so big. It was so great to be there for your baptism! :)We are so proud of you too. Jill, I wish we could run together evey day! It was a lot of fun, crazy how it didn't even seem like work! Love you guys!

~Sherry (Bear) and Stephen (Wolf) said...

It was nice to be able to come to the baptism, thank you for the invite. And thank you for the tractor rides. (Seriously, Stephen and Skyler ran around all night at Great Grandpa's birthday party telling everyone about the ride with Uncle Rob.)
We will keep Rob's dad in our Prayers. Let us know how he is doing, and if we can do anything for your family.