Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Yellow Belts and High-Low Competition

Nathan and Sarah earned their yellow belts in karate (before Christmas, and I'm barely writting about it).  They practiced so hard for their test, and did great.  I had been nervous, because I thought they would be devastated not to pass, after putting in that much effort.  To my relief, they passed, as did everyone in the class.  (what was I worried about?!  of course they want all their students to continue).
At the karate party, where they were awarded their belts, they had a high-low competition.  A high-low is one of the exercises they do at the beginning of class.  From a crouching position, they do a frog jump straight up, pulling their legs up, and then land back in a squat.  The kids were excited to participate, and see how many they could do.  Their Sifu (karate instructor) announced that the winner would receive a lucky cat figurine.  Whatever- Nathan was really excited at that prospect.  Rob said there were some green-belt students back by the refreshments table, watching the competition.  They were commenting to each other, "Why are they doing this?!  Don't they know that it's pure torture?" 
Here they are at the beginning of the competition.  My kids are the ones in jeans at the front.

They had a great time!  Nathan said, "Wow, we might get all the way to 50!"  They did, and just kept going.  The students were out of the competition if they sat down, or weren't getting their feet up.  I finally pulled Sarah out when her feet were barely making it off the ground.  The kids that got out got a sucker, so it was all good.  Every once in a while, the Sifu would have them pause while they pulled kids out an gave them a sucker.  Those still in the competition had to stay squatting, and not straighten their legs or stretch. 

It was so hard, but Nathan kept going.  The competition started with about 40 kids, and Nathan made it to the final 4.  He did 136 high-lows!!!  He was awesome!  When he finally could do no more, he sat down, then came hobbling over to me with tears running down his cheeks.  I asked if he was crying because he was in so much pain, or because he didn't win the lucky cat.  He said it was because he didn't win the lucky cat.  The Sifu came over to him and said that anyone that could do 136 high-lows deserved something special, and gave him a Chinese coin necklace.  I told him it was a lucky coin, and he was pleased with that.
I couldn't hold back the tears myself.  He had literally given it everything he had.  I was so proud!  I really didn't know he had it in him to put out that kind of effort.  I know he's got somewhat of a competitive spirit, but I hadn't expected this.  When we joined Rob and the other kids, who were with the spectators, Rob's chin was quiverring and tears were coming from his eyes too.  He was so choked up that he could barely get the words out saying how proud he was...  Maybe it sounds silly now, but it was a really emotional experience for us!  Other parents were choked up too.  Nathan was so cute about it.  His legs were so sore he had a hard time getting down the stairs.  I'm pretty sure I couldn't do 136 high-lows, and especially not walk afterward!  The winner, a red-belt girl with springs for legs, did 176 high-lows, and looked like she could keep going and going. 
We told Nathan several times what a good job he had done, and how proud we were of him.  Later on in the day, as the two of us were going to the store, Nathan asked, "Mom, I don't get it.  Why would someone be proud of how may high-lows a person could do?"  I told him that it wasn't the number of high-lows he did that made us proud.  We were proud because he had given it all he had.  I told him that I knew he wasn't just uncomfortable doing the jumps, but that he was in a lot of pain... yet he kept going until he absolutely couldn't do any more.  We would be proud of him in anything that he did where he gave that kind of effort.  What a kid!!!
Sarah also participated in the iron cross competition.  She was so cute and giggly.
The kids love going to karate.  They got to try out sparring.  Doesn't Sarah look like such a fierce warrior (one with a helmet that's way too big!)?! 
She thought the gloves would make it easier to do her knuckle push-ups.
Nathan loved sparring...
and is actually quite good at it.
Sarah and her sparring partner just giggled and giggled while throwing silly little punches.
I love my kids, and I'm so proud of them.  Karate's been fun for our family because none of us have had any experience with it before.  Rob and I feel like we are learning cool stuff too.  Who knows how long they'll choose to stay with it, but it's taught them some great things: respect, hard work, balance, protection, self confidence, discipline, as well as physical strentgh and stamina.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What great videos of the high-low competition! Those look really HARD! Way to stick with it Nathan! It's awsome that they have the chance to learn so many life skills and have fun too. Love you guys!

~Sherry (Bear) and Stephen (Wolf) said...

So awesome! Good job Nathan, those do look hard, I don't think I could do 5 of those!