Thursday, February 25, 2010

My Dryer Dilemma

Starting a few weeks ago, my laundry occassionally came out of the dryer smelling like smoke.  I stupidly thought it was just a bad combination of my new drier sheets with my detergent, since Rob couldn't smell it.  It only happened a few times, but it got stinkier and stinkier each time (now Rob can smell it).  I clean out the lint trap every load, I rarely use drier sheets, and Rob just cleaned out the vent.  I googled my quandary, and what do you know- lots of people with Kenmore dryers have had this problem.  Only, here's the kicker, a lot of the people online had the clothes in their dryer catch on fire!!!  Some even had their house burn down.  Yikes.  Now I'm scared to use my dryer.  I'll use it when I'm right close by, but never when I'm asleep or have to go somewhere.  I even got out my fire extinguisher, and have it close by.  It really stinks!  I would love a new dryer, but... $$$  Has anyone ever had this problem, and what did you do about it?  My dryer is 11 years old, so it's not worth having a technician come fix it (the people online didn't have much success with a tech fixing their problem anyway).  So... do I bite the bullet and buy a new one?!

One of the things that I really don't love about my house is my laundry room.  It is ridiculously small, and is a walk-through from my garage.  There weren't even any cupboards in it.  Rob recently fixed that problem for me.  He made these awesome cupboards, and I love it.  Thanks lievert!

6 comments:

toni said...

sorry man, I guess a new dryer is the fix-you said it yourself. They have a $150 instant rebate on the maytags at costco. $750 total...not bad for a new energy efficient-plus the $75+ you'll get back in local rebates...Can you tell I've done my homework? We don't have the budget either, but we need new ones-both. I can tell you which I've researched are good consumer buys if ya want!
Good luck Jill. Laundry isn't a compromise a housewife should have to deal with

Unknown said...

Cheaper than burning your house down.

Carrie and Jon said...

Good luck with the dryer. We are using one that use to be my grandma's. Ya, it's really old but it works like a champ:) thanks for asking about my dad. He is getting his shunt this morning, then he starts on Tuesday. We have set a blog up for him, it is hugs4sid.blogspot.com. We'll post updates there for his neighbors and friends to read. Thanks again!

Laura Z M said...

Where there's smoke . . .

Get a new dryer.

Period.

Rob and Jill said...

I know... I know. But we're doing some investigative work still. Last night, it was smelling in the laundry room -a lot, but I hadn't had the dryer running for several hours. Could something on the dryer be smoking while the dryer is off? Rob's going to tear into the thing tomorrow and see what's going on inside. I'd hate to buy a new dryer if that isn't what the problem is. I don't know what's going on!

~Sherry (Bear) and Stephen (Wolf) said...

That doesn't sound good at all. Hope he figures out what is wrong and that it isn't hard to fix.