We did corn today. Lots and lots of corn! Around 38 dozen ears of corn (which is significantly lower than the 60 dozen my dad had predicted, though still a lot!). Some in the field was just too young still. So, next week, maybe another party. Yeah!
Here is my sister-in-law Toni and her new baby Porter, and my dad. Sarah is an unbelievably good helper. All harvest season she has helped with everything. We are amazed at how well she sticks with a job; we've never seen anything like her. Here I think she is getting tired of shucking corn (or maybe just tired since she missed her nap).
If you're not familiar with the process of freezing corn, here's how we do it: Shuck it, wash it, blanch it (4 minutes boiling), cool it with ice water, cut it off the cob, and put it in bags to freeze. It's not hard, just time consuming and messy. But... oh so worth it. It is sooooo yummy! Plus it's fun to get together with family for projects like this. My sister Terri had the blanching and cooling duty.
Life canning has gotten so much better since we started cooking things outside on the Camp Chef. We used to heat up the house so it was unbearable, especially since we didn't have an air conditioner when I was a kid.
My Mom, sister-in-law Lynette, and I had cutting duty. My hand is still cramped.
My nephew Ryan says it all! YUM!!!
My 100% Whole Wheat Bread Recipe
9 years ago

2 comments:
Where was my invite to this party? Let me know if the one next week happens. I would love to come up and help.
That's a lot of corn! Fun to do it with family I bet
Post a Comment