Last week at book club, we were talking about injuries our kids have had. I made a comment about how my kids had never broken bones or needed stitches. I pretended to knock on wood, but I guess I should have really found some wood to knock on. Yesterday, at the end of school, I got a call from Nathan. He said that they had stacked their chairs and he was cleaning the floor around his desk, when a little girl knocked his chair off his desk and it hit his head, putting a gash in it. I woke the kids up from naps and raced to the school to pick him up. The gash wasn't big, but it looked pretty deep. At home I checked the web site of my sister-in-law docmisty, because I had remembered her having a post about determining whether or not to go to the doctor for stitches. The cut looked like it went through several layers of skin, and my gut told me I should take him in. We have a huge deductible (basically it's catastrophic coverage), so I'm super selective about going to the doctor. Someone has to be really sick, or I have to have a strong gut feeling for me to take them in. People complain about co-pays, but they are much better than paying out for the whole amount of the office visit. Anyway... So I wouldn't have to drag four kids along with me, I waited a half-hour for Rob to get home. I took Nathan to our friend Dr. F., and I'm glad I did. The wound did need to be closed up, so he got 3 staples in the back of his head. He was really good about it and didn't freek out at all. He even made us all giggle as he was getting shots to numb the area.
I feel bad for the poor kid. He's doing fine though, and seemed to get a little too much attention at school. Hopefully they won't crawl around cleaning up the floor with chairs perched on their desks anymore.
Merry Christmas to us! (sigh)

2 comments:
Oh, poor kid! Hope it heals fast!
What a bummer!
It's fun to see pictures of the nature center. It's been a while.
Jill,
I need your address and the email I have for you no longer works. Would you email me when you see this?
chalaeanddavid@gmail.com
Post a Comment