Sunday, March 8, 2009

Nathan Turns 7!

Happy Birthday Nathan! We love you!!!

I can't believe my first born is 7-years-old already. Where has the time gone?! Nathan is such a great kid, and he is growing up so fast. He's funny, imaginative, obedient, and fun to be around. He's a great big brother; Sarah and Matthew look up to him, and try to be like him. We are so glad to have him in our family.
Life has been crazy around our place lately- what with buying a house, fixing it up, and getting ready to move. I really hadn't done anything (or really thought much about) Nathan's birthday coming up. He started making comments about how excited he was for his birthday etc. I guess I started feeling guilty, knowing that I couldn't just blow off his birthday because we were busy. Over a month ago he had come up with the idea for a Kung Fu Panda pinata. He thought that rather than hitting it with a stick, you should do kung fu to break open the pinata (kicking and punching anyway). What a clever idea!!! I can't claim any credit for that brilliant thought. Though it was almost too late to make the thing, I decided to do it. I really didn't have time or energy, but what the heck- I have a sinus infection and can't breath when I lay down anyway, so might as well stay up late working on a project.

We had our cousins that live close by, Nathan's friend Jake, and of course Aunt Terri, come over for cake and ice cream. I finished painting the pinata 10 minutes before they arrived. Thank goodness for blow dryers (I won't even explain how I got the pinata to dry as quickly as I did in my dryer)! I probably haven't done paper mache since 4th grade! I made the pinata look like the Po punching bag at the end of Kung Fu Panda, and I have to say I was quite pleased with the result. I have zero artistic ability, so ...

The kids had so much fun beating up poor Po. It was a riot. We laughed and laughed the whole time. It was well worth all the time and effort.Since it was dark outside, and we didn't have a place to hang it inside, Rob hung it off the end of a broom handle. Dangerous job! This is Sarah just realizing that she'd been punching her Dad instead of Po.Here are the kids laughing about Sarah punching Rob. I love Erin's face! Luckily Sarah's not very good in the punching category. It was so funny though. She loves telling people about it.
Ryan is a Kung Fu master! He did a lot of damage to poor Po. Po took it all like a champ, always with that same silly grin.
Adam was a bit shy about hitting Po.
The kids with big enough heads got to wear the "Pandana" as a blind fold. Nathan got it from saving tokens on cereal boxes.

If I ever make a pinata again, I need to come up with a better system for hanging it up. It tore off the hanger several times before it broke.

Nathan's birthday cake was dorky, but it was exactly what he wanted. I didn't have time to add any details to his Ninjas fighting in front of a cave cake. Whatever... it tasted good.He loves his Webkinz Yorkie. He made this "cowboy hat" to match the one he bought for Dr. Fluff (his Yorkie) on Webkinz World. Even though it looks more like a top hat, it's cute!


Happy Birthday Nathan. You're awesome!

6 comments:

Lynette said...

Looks like loads of fun! I think the cake is cute. And the panda pinata is AWESOME! Good Job Jill!!!

~Sherry (Bear) and Stephen (Wolf) said...

So cute! Happy Birthday Nathan! We wanted to come...unfortunatly we had sick kids. Hope it was a good birthday for you! It looks like you had a lot of fun.

The Murdocks said...

You are so creative Jill! How fun! I can't believe you'll be moving soon. I'm glad I'll still get to see you though. Have you still been going to aerobics? I'm hoping to be back in 3 weeks!

Bowman and Nanette said...

I'm just catching up on your blog after a no-blogging streak here (I was recently called as RS Pres. in our ward and it's been a little consuming these past couple of months). Anyway, Looks like you had a FUN party! My boys love the Po and have asked me to make one for them now. Is there a step by step guide?! I wish I'd been reading your blog when the crayon-in-the-laundry happened. It happened to me last summer on vacation...at my parents house. I was sure I'd ruined their dryer! After much trial and error and mostly out of desperation I finally put a whole bottle of spray&wash in the washer with the load and what do you know...it worked. Who knows if it was all of the other stuff I tried before combined with that, but whatever it was I was grateful that all of the purple and blue spots were gone! I'm excited about your new house! We'll have to come see you when we're out that way this summer.

~Sherry (Bear) and Stephen (Wolf) said...

Hey Jill, I am tagging you for "8 THINGS ABOUT ME"

Anonymous said...

I'm always so slow on the comments, I love to read your blog, and check it all the time, but I just don't get to the comments quickly. Happy birthday Nathan, like 3 weeks ago!! The Po pinata was really cute, and to have them punch and kick at it looked like fun. Hope the moving is going ok. luv ya!