We were planning on getting Nathan a new bike this spring for his birthday, but he opted for a scooter instead. He loved going to the cul-de-sac behind us and riding his scooter with the neighbor kids. One day I looked out to check on him, and he was riding the neighbor's bike! He had taught himself how to ride. He was way too big for his little bike, yet we didn't want to just buy him a bike when it wasn't his birthday or Christmas (we're funny that way). Anyway, we decided he could earn a new bike by reading 50 books or chapters. He wasn't loving reading, and we needed to get him reading more over the summer. This seemed like a great solution. Luckily it worked! It took him a while to get into it, but now he loves reading, and loves his new bike. Now we bike everywhere! I am really enjoying biking to and from school with him everyday. Sarah and Matthew ride in the bike trailer and think it's pretty fun. We are so proud of him! It was a lot of work.
My 100% Whole Wheat Bread Recipe
9 years ago

1 comments:
What a great incentive! I hope my boys learn to love reading. I've always loved to read. I'm looking forward to biking with my boys as well (a little nervous about it too though, I must admit). There's so much going on in the road here it seems a little scary to jump on a bike with two little kids...eventually I'll get the hang of it.
We're in Rotterdam right now staying in an apartment style hotel. We start to look for permanent housing today. We've heard from some of the other members here that Schiedam is not the best area. We hadn't heard that before. Are you familiar with Schiedam?
I'm glad that you started a blog so I can keep tabs on you guys. Your kids are SO adorable. I love the picture of them at the bottom of your blog.
Post a Comment